Embalmers Licensure Procedures and Requirements
All persons applying for licensure as an Embalmer in Connecticut must follow the procedures as outlined below:
- Obtain an Associate Degree in Funeral Arts and Sciences from an educational institution accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
- Successfully complete the National Conference Board Examination.
- Apply to the Department for registration as an apprentice Embalmer. If you are eligible, a permit card and number will be issued. Please note that the apprenticeship period cannot begin until the Department issues the permit. This apprenticeship shall be for one (1) year and shall be under the direct supervision of a licensed Embalmer.
- Upon completion of the apprenticeship and documentation by the employer, completion of the practical examination and submission of the list of fifty (50) embalming cases under supervision, the apprentice embalmer shall submit an application for examination as an Embalmer. This is a State Examination dealing with Public Health Code as it pertains to the funeral industry and related issues.
- After successful completion of the Embalmer's examination, a license will be issued upon receipt of the required $40.00 fee.
In summary, the five (5) steps are:
- Associate Degree in Mortuary Science
- National Conference Board Exam
- Application for Registration as Apprentice Embalmer
- Application for Examination as an Embalmer
- Licensing Fee Remittance
*Before one enters a school of mortuary science, one may apply to the Department for registration as a Pre-graduate Trainee. The objective of this training period is to familiarize oneself with the profession, in order to determine whether or not to proceed with formal education. Up to three (3) months of the one (1) year apprenticeship may be completed as a Pre-Graduate Trainee. The balance must be served after completing school and the National Conference Board Examination as stated above.
**Please arrange to have your Associate Degree transcript from your school of mortuary science and the results of your conference exam sent directly to this Department:
Embalmer/Funeral Director Licensure
Department of Public Health
410 Capital Avenue
MS #12 AP, P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134-0308
Copyright © 2018, Connecticut Funeral Directors Association